Church - 1852
St. Paul’s Church in Brookline Massachusetts was founded in 1849. Designed by the famous architect Richard Upjohn, the church was completed in 1852. It is on the National and State Registers of Historic Places.
The sanctuary was devastated by fire in 1976, leaving only its exterior walls. The congregation faced a choice. They could give up what had been lost (the beautiful Gothic Revival interior and irreplaceable stained glass windows) and move on to other churches. Or they could rebuild the interior, welcoming the new to strengthen the old. Thankfully, the choice was to rebuild.
The importance of physical place inspired a sense of mission that the congregation chose to build on, and the determination, energy and joy in that decision informs our church and our ministries to this day.
Rectory - 1886
The rectory was completed in 1886. In 1913, the Vestry voted to replace gas lights in the Rectory and the Parish House with electricity.
Parish House - 1859
In 1859, the Chapel (now the parish hall) was dedicated. The rest of what we now call the Parish House, linking the old chapel to the church, was completed in 1896. 1925 brought extensive renovations to Parish House, including the addition of rooms in the basement. The current kitchen was created in the early 1990s.
For more information, see the St. Paul’s Church Brookline: A Chronological History of Its Buildings, October 31, 1999 by Brett Donham on the 150th Anniversary of the incorporation of the church.